Like any other software, a website also demands thorough testing by a professional team that would insure all bottlenecks to its efficient performance online are reported on time. Discovering bugs, issues and errors after your potential customers have interacted with your website or web application can be detrimental to the growth of your online business.
When do you need testing service?
Here are the two phases where you will require the expert website testing service;
Before Website Launch:
Any web project before going online needs a thorough analysis and testing to avoid performance, security and accessibility issues to its visitors. A website testing team must coordinate with design development professionals during the building process and again before project launch to deliver an error free online solution.
After Launch Auditing:
Hidden issues could be affecting your website’s performance and user experience. If you have made some major updates to your website or have been making small updates on a regular basis without testing, you need this service. Every website or web/mobile app needs to be audited from time to time to assure best quality and performance online.
Types of Website Testing Services
Testing every aspect of your website or web application is necessary to launch an error free web solution, whether it’s an app or a website. Here is a list of some popular testing services required before launch of a website:
Browser Testing – To know if your website performs well on all browsers
Functional and database Testing – For assurance that website’s navigation and database management is flawless
UX & Usability Testing – To review that your visitors can easily browse your website
Mobile UX and functional testing – So that your mobile website’s user experience does not crash on mobile devices
Website Security Testing – So your visitors can trust you while sharing critical information
Load & Performance Testing – To know how much traffic can your website handle smoothly
You need a professional team of website testers to ensure its efficient performance online.
1. Browser Testing
Users now access websites with the help of both latest and outdated versions of endless browsers. It’s the responsibility of the designers and developers to ensure the websites cross browser compatibility. Thorough website testing can be virtually impossible without the help of correct resources. This is done by:
- Testing website’s accessibility on multiple browsers
- Thoroughly checking website’s navigation, content placement, videos, images and overall look.
- Reviewing website for common compatibility issues
- Monitoring website’s loading time on every browser version.
- Taking screenshots for distorted appearance of website
You must test each web page on 12+ browser versions before launch
2. Functionality and Database Testing
It is critical to deliver a website that works exactly as intended by the website owner. Every web development/ programming company aims to deploy a website on a client’s server that functions efficiently. Even a small mistake can drive away website users and drastically bring down online sales. Functional testing includes:
- Checking website for site search, broken links and website navigation.
- Testing website’s integration with back-end database or Content Management System.
- Speeding up the testing process by automating functional testing. This is done by generating custom scripts that automatically test multiple functions and report issues.
- Thorough testing of a website’s login, registration, and lead generation forms.
- Testing SSL certification, payment gateway and checkout process (ecommerce website).
- Ensuring proper functioning of RSS feed, social media integration and other 3rd party APIs integrated.
Poor website performance = 79% decrease in probability of repeat purchase
3. UX and Usability Testing
Usability and user experience testing is fundamental to launching a successful website. A website that is simple to use and browse through, has easily accessible content, quick buying process and negligible response time is always preferred by its visitors. FATbit website testing team audits every web page on a long list of predefined parameters to ensure a superior on site user experience. Under UX and usability testing we have:
- Testing website’s look, navigation and user experience on multiple screen resolutions.
- Checking page layout, clear navigation options and CTAs, information architecture, etc.
- Looking for faults in website conversion options including website login, registration and checkout process.
- Recording website loading time on multiple browsers.
- Monitoring on site visitor behavior in Google Analytics through parameters like bounce rate, exit rate, pages visited, average visit duration, conversions, etc.
- Finding common trends in on site visitor behavior and reporting them.
A complex conversion process can result in 37% loss of conversions
4. Website Security Testing
Websites are no more confined to just displaying information on static pages. With the advent of Web 2.0 and increased online transactions, it is important to secure vital data of the website/ web applications. Security testing ensures that confidential data stays confidential and authorized users can perform only those tasks that they have access rights to.
- Scan website for common security threats to which every website is vulnerable to.
- Ensure security of important data and online transactions.
- Suggest ways to avoid or mitigate industry specific client and admin side security threats.
- Testing the website for viruses and bugs, spoofing, URL manipulation issues, XSS, SQL injection (testing for OWASP top 10 vulnerabilities), etc.
- Ensuring that no hacker can manipulate the database and get unauthorized access to confidential information.
- Authentication and Authorization testing so that the website’s functionality cannot be altered by an unauthorized person in an unintended way etc.
- Business Logic Testing, Session Management Testing, Data Validation Testing, Protection against Spamming, Ajax Testing, etc.
59% people are still worried about online banking fraud
Rigorously Test Your Website for Functional & Security Issues. Optimize Your Website’s Online Performance.
5. Mobile UX and functional testing
Mobile devices are the first place where your visitors discover your website. With this change in search trend, it is important to specially test the website’s performance and User Experience on mobile devices. If your brand has just come out with a responsive or mobile adapted website, mobile UX testing is a must.
- Testing website’s look, navigation and user experience on multiple devices and screen orientations.
- Auditing content accessibility and adaptability on mobile devices.
- Ensuring smooth and quick website login, registration and checkout process on mobiles.
- Checking website for common technical compatibility issues.
- Monitoring website loading time on multiple mobile operating systems and browsers.
- Checking website’s performance on multiple mobile browsers’ latest and past versions.
Negative mobile shopping experience makes 43% of your consumers switch to competitors
Also Read: 10 ways to improve UX of a mobile website or App.
6. Load and Performance Testing
Is your website’s architecture equipped to perform in cases where it is hit by large number of users at the same time? Load, Stress and Performance testing can help you understand how you can better optimize your system and infrastructure to handle the projected load. Ecommerce websites, news websites and blogs, travel and other database driven portals, gaming websites, etc need thorough load and stress testing. Load and performance testing of a website is executed by:
- Testing your website in a synthesized environment to review its performance.
- Website testers will monitor average response time of critical pages to maximum user loads.
- Help your development team figure out potential bottle necks in your systems architecture.
- We suggest ways to optimize website’s average response time and usage of deployed resources.
- We help you compare the performance of your website to that of an industry competitor.
64% of your website users expect pages to load in less than 4 seconds
Optimized Website Audit and Testing Process:
- Project Audit and requirement analysis
- Building a test strategy and planning a suitable methodology. Adopting a balanced manual and automated approach to testing
- Preparation of multiple test cases by keeping in mind the positive and negative scenarios, end user scenarios, etc
- Testing the website in a synthesizing environment for issues, bugs and load testing
- After the tests are executed, all the defects are reported. Test execution reports are created and circulated to project stakeholders.
Also Read: Don’t trust your gut. Use A/B testing before a major change.
Why must you outsource projects to specialized website testers?
- The testing experts can coordinate with your design and development agency if it does not have the right resources or expertise to deliver a fully test your website before launch.
- By outsourcing testing service to a specialized team, your project is also overlooked by a team of designers and developers with many years of industry experience.
- The expertise of a qualified testing team can never be matched by automated tools for quality assurance and testing.
- An immature website tester (or any online testing tool) will fail to provide actionable improvement suggestions that we share.
- You can confidently launch your web project knowing that it will deliver perfectly.
Outsource your website testing to a team experienced at this task since 9+ years.