15 Young Online Tycoons & Success Tips from Young Entrepreneurs
We are living in times when everyone wants to be a part of the internet-gold rush but sadly very few actually make it big in the web world. Either the ones that identify a unique need succeed or those who come up with a better way to do the same thing.
We bring 15 young web entrepreneurs who managed to decode the web and made their bankers fall in love with them for bringing truckloads of cash. These insanely rich achievers have proved that business isn’t about books, rules and, most importantly, a Masters degree in business.
So, here they are, with snippets of their accomplishments and success tips sprinkled in-between;
- 1Mark Zuckerberg, worth an estimated $19 BillionHe is just 29 years old and runs the world’s largest social networking website Facebook. He is the world’s youngest billionaire and hails from White Plains, New York. Zuckerberg started programming at a very young age. Besides the ’6.9 billion’ factor, he also has a Hollywood movie depicting his journey. Now you know why he is leading the pack.
- 2Kevin Systrom, worth an estimated $400 millionHe helped people pretend as professional photographers by launching Instagram. Presently 29 years old, he cofounded the photo-sharing, video-sharing and social networking service in 2010. The tech entrepreneur has worked for brands like Odeo and Google. He graduated in 2006 from Stanford University. Instagram was acquired by Facebook in April 2012 for $1 billion in cash and stock.
Success Tip : Prior Experience pays
“First we listen to what people want, and then we go bargain with the supplier. We have control over the entire process, which is a key differentiator” says Machado and Christ, founders of daily deals brand, Xopso. Both have experience in the import/export business and they both come from working at Groupon for a while.
- 3 Neil Patel, worth an estimated Over $10,000,000The cofounder of 2 internet companies, KISSmetrics and CrazyEgg, all at 28, Neil Patel is the next big thing and kind of a big deal on the internet. With his online brands, he has helped large corporations such as AOL, General Motors, Hewlett-Packard and Viacom make more money from web.
- 4David Karp, worth an estimated $200 millionInitiated in 2007, his company Tumblr has been getting approximately 15000 new users per day, and over 2 million daily posts, has now over 92 million blogs, 42 billion blog posts, and 150 employees. Recently, he joined hands with Yahoo to raise his worth even more. Not bad for a 26 year old!
- 5 Gurbakash Chahal, worth an estimated $200 millionAn award winning entrepreneur and author, Gurbaksh Chahal was a high school dropout and at the age of 16, he initiated ClickAgents, a performance based ad network that was acquired by ValueClick in a $40 million all-stock deal. Another venture, which was again an ad network BlueLithium was acquired by Yahoo in 2002 for $300 million cash. His career achievements continue to present day. In 2008, he published his book called The Dream. Presently, he is the CEO and founder of RadiumOne (formerly known as gWallet), a real-time online advertising platform.
Success Tip : Measure, Measure, Measure
“Always use all the available metrics to see where you are with your project. Don’t be fooled by your imagination nor let those wishful thinking episodes get in your way. Measure your impact. Watch your money, trends, team, partners, and see what’s happening. Keep your eyes open and be ready to cut if things are not looking as you would expect. Better sooner than later.”– Dragos Roua, Mirabilis Media NZ
- 6 Evan Sharp, worth estimated $138 millionWhen Sharp was in architecture school, he took part in the discussion that gave birth to Pinterest. As most of us know, Pinterest is a pinboard-style photo sharing website that allows users to create and manage theme-based boards based on events, interests, hobbies, and more. This whopping portal has touched 30 million users globally. Mr. Sharp is just 29, sounds like an understatement.
- 7 Nick D’Aloisio, the kid worth $30 millionHe is 18 year old and has already minted $30 million. Sounds like spell of some magic wand! But, one thing’s for sure, he is no ordinary teenager. He sold Summly, his news aggregator app, to Yahoo for a lip smacking $30 million. This app summarizes news stories into a format viewable on Smarphones. He started coding at the age 12 and now is occupying the cover pages of Forbes, BBC, and Wired.The Summly prototype received over 200,000 downloads and was chosen by Apple as its App of the Week in UK and other countries.
The million dollar question is, what would Nick do with those $30 million?
Streamline your business ideas with our experts.
- 8 Adam Hildreth, worth estimated $50 million, age 28Adam was mere 14 when he started his first company, Dubit Limited that went on to become a teenage sensation in UK. Adam’s later brainchild Crisp Thinking developed software that protected people from online predators, online harassment and spamming.
He was ranked 23 in the UK’s top 100 richest young people in the year 2008.
Success Tip : Get clients or customers first
“Don’t wait until you’ve officially started your business to line these up, because your business can’t survive without them. Do the networking. Make the contacts. Sell or even give away your products or services. You can’t start marketing too soon.”–Susan Ward, Cypress Technologies
- 9 Daniel Ek, worth estimated $500 millionAt 30, he is yet another miracle man who has been making millions in cyber world.
Not impressed? He started his first company when he was just 14. Daniel is the founder of Spotify, which is a software application that enables users to listen specific tracks or albums with virtually no buffering delay. Spotify was launched in 2008 and had approximately 10 million users by September 2010. According to reports, ‘Spotify, a jukebox in the cloud that provides legal, on-demand access to millions of songs. Supported by paying subscribers & radio-style ads played only to nonsubscribers, the service debuted in the United States after operating for three years in Europe.
- 10 Pete Cashmore, net estimated worth $95 million, age 28 Founder and CEO of Mashable.com, he became millionaire in his early 20′s. Mashable is a popular blog that covers entertainment and technology while keeping serious focus on internet culture and development. The blog currently receives more than 30 million views a month.In the year 2012, he graced Time magazine’s list of 100 most influential people.
- 11 Matt Mullenweg, net estimated worth $40 millionThe 29 year old WordPress founder, Matt is a genius without doubt. He attended the University of Houston and majored in Political Science. He dropped out in 2004 to pursue a job at CNET Networks. In late 2005, he quit his job at CNET Networks and founded Automattic, the business behind WordPress.com, Akismet, Gravatar, VaultPress, IntenseDebate, Polldaddy, and more.
Success Tip : Ditch Your Safety Net
“As a senior at Babson, I lined up a job at Goldman Sachs. I thought I was pretty smart since this would give me a backup if IdeaPaint wasn’t working out. Looking back now, I realized that having that in hand was a reason not to push harder and higher. The day before the job started, I told them I wanted to pursue IdeaPaint. They thought I was crazy but I think it has worked out pretty well.”– John Goscha, IdeaPaint
- 12Adam D’Angelo, net worth $61 millionAt the age of around 28 he is co-founder of Quora, Adam quit Facebook in 2008 where he managed the product development and engineering team, and also guided the site’s architecture and infrastructure to ensure scalability. Quora is tagged as the best source of knowledge. Basically, it is a mammoth on the realm of Q&A.
- 13 Trip Adler, net worth estimated $25.8 MillionPresently 29 years old, Trip is the founder of Scribd, a social reading and publishing website and houses millions of written works, magazines, research reports, presentations and the like, is a biggie in the online zone. Adler grew up in Palo Alto, California, and then attended Harvard University where he studied biophysics and graduated in June 2006.
Want to be a part of this list? FATbit can make your DREAM business a REALITY.
- 14 Blake Ross, net estimated worth $150 million –The 28 year old American software developer, most popularly known for Mozilla FireFox. Ross was an intern, working at Netscape, when he and some of his colleagues decided to find an easier browser that was a more acceptable way for internet users and could make web surfing simpler, faster, and more efficient.Firefox was launched in 2004, and experienced blimp success, and in just a few months, had at least 100 million downloads. Ross is also the Director of Product for Facebook.
Success Tip : Don’t Do It Alone
“Surround yourself with an awesome team because you’re going to need them to overcome all the obstacles that come with starting a company. Lots of people have great ideas that they try to tackle by themselves, but I think it’s almost impossible to do everything by yourself.”– Emily Olson, Foodzie
- 15 Naveen Selvadurai, net worth estimated $80 millionHe is the mastermind behind location based social networking website, Foursquare. He has worked for brands like Nokia, Sun Microsystems and Sony before following his entrepreneurial passion. A graduate from King’s College London and Worcester Polytechnic Institute, his net worth is US$80 million at an age of 31.These web personalities made it big because they dared to dream big and chased those dreams until success was theirs. These passion driven maestros made their own rules and modelled great concepts into real platforms.These success stories clearly make one remarkable statement, that is, there is no rulebook for success.
A success mantra is unique to every individual. It is time you discover yours.There is no end to motivational speeches and words but it is your step that really matters. This is a wake-up call for all those entrepreneurs with exceptional web ideas.
- Top Explainer Videos – You Should Watch Before You Order One.
- Who designed and created Flipkart brand?
- How to Protect Website from Copycats? What to do When Someone Steals your Site?
- 10 Startups to make a killing in 2014-15 – Watch them Out
- Online Businesses Successfully Targeting Niche and Making Profits
- Top Young, Rich and Beautiful Female Entrepreneurs List India. Smart Girls!